Those shifts are:
- Focus on arenas, not industries - competitive threats are very likely to come from outside your industry.
- Set broad themes and let people experiment - many creative minds on constant alert.
- Foster innovation by setting appropriate metrics - accept that sometimes you'll get it wrong (something that traditional metrics tend to punish).
- Focus on customer experiences - they'll help you find solutions to problems.
- Build strong relationships - they'll help you through the tough times.
- Avoid brutal restructuring - it might make financial sense in the short term bu could harm your core competencies in the process.
- Get systematic an early stage innovation.
- Experiment, iterate and learn - by creating a learning organisation you can take advantage of knowledge that is often lost.